According to the U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, more than 70% of students, and an equal number of school staff, have seen bullying occur in educational environments. The number increases significantly when including social media and other forms of electronic communication.
"Know What's Right, Do What's Right" is a bullying prevention campaign that features grant opportunities for preschools, kindergartens and early elementary schools in Western Pennsylvania. The Marcus L. Ruscitto Foundation provides funding in support of programming and curriculum to complement parent and teacher involvement in early childhood education.
The Foundation has consulted with subject matter experts and assembled a program incorporating media messaging that reaches children and parents, complemented by in-school service providers who bring proven methodologies that can be applied immediately.
Specifically, the Foundation is featuring the following program components for the 2014 – 2015 school year:
• On-air announcements promoting the "Know What's Right, Do What's Right" theme on WQED-TV; WQED is the public broadcasting service (PBS) station in Pittsburgh, PA delivering educational programming to the community
• Know What's Right, Do What's Right: A Forum on Bullying; WQED-TV host Chris Moore moderates an expert panel discussion about bullying prevention strategies among young children
• Grant request opportunities for preschool programs demonstrating financial need to implement the I Can Problem Solve (I.C.P.S.) curriculum; I.C.P.S. is a universal school-based program that focuses on enhancing the problem-solving skills of children
• Grant request opportunities for schools and community center populations demonstrating financial need to hold assemblies featuring The Josh & Gab Show; The show entertains and informs audiences of all ages through a combination of music and comedy
The on-air announcements will air on WQED-TV from early October 2014 and appear consistently during age appropriate programming through May 2015.
|Visit the WQED web site for more bullying prevention resources.|
Grants have already been made to the following schools:
• H.W. Good Elementary, Mendon Elementary, West Newton Elementary (Yough School District)
• St. Gregory School (Zelienople)
• St. Bartholomew School (Penn Hills)
• St. Joseph School (Verona)
• Green Valley Primary (North Versailles)
• Mt. Washington Children's Center (Pittsburgh).
Grant opportunities will be available throughout the school year.
Interested organizations may submit their requests to the Foundation through the grant application now available.